Instead of doing the “best of” or the “tops posts of” or “my secret predictions for,” I want to offer something a little different this year.
No longer am I a fan of looking back. Now, I like to look forward offer something of more value that’s not my own and isn’t a hokey “prediction.” After all, a wise sage once said, do not worry for tomorrow, for has worries of its own. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
There have been several blogs I have been reading for some time, and the authors have consistently provided content that has enriched my professional view and practice of public relations. The teacher inside me — the little voice that pricks me on to share — is nevertheless convincing once again.
In no particular order because they are all remarkable, here are 13 blog you should be reading in 2013:
- 99u – Public relations is about getting stuff done that improves relationships between people and the organization affecting them. This blog has everything to do with helping you organize your life and work to get stuff done well.
- Mr. Media Training – This is a blog has everything you need to make your client look good on television, in a radio interview or sitting with a reporter. Brad also throws in gaffes to keep us laughing because sometimes we need that in this business.
- The PR Coach – You won’t find a better blog on general PR tips, tactics and insights. This one is worth a read at least daily.
- KDPaine’s PR Measurement Blog – By far the best blog on the planet for learning about the not-so-fun, but oh-so-necessary practice of measuring what we do and its impact on people. Read it religiously.
- prTini – Wonderfully written blog by any standard, Heather brings us a wealth of information around across the web and from her experience. A resource worthy of a read.
- PR 2.0 Strategies – Packed full of information for the PR pro, this blog, Deirdre Breakenridge has also published several books, which add to her repertoire knowledge. I have two of her books and found them extremely valuable. Her blog is no different.
- PR Squared – One of the top 100 blogs according to BlogRank, this gem is written by Todd Defren, the brains behind the senses and at the helm of ShiftComm. His topic advice will keep you ahead of the game.
- The Future Buzz – A top ranked public relations blog, this site has just about everything you need from search, to marketing, to jobs.
- Strategic Public Relations – Moving fram tactics to strategy is the key to advancing your career and effectiveness in the profession. Kevin Dugan offers his take on that. He’s published some good reads here.
- Bad Pitch Blog – This is always a great resource to learn from others mistakes, but have a laugh too. Sometimes you can’t take our profession too seriously.
- 6 a.m. – Richard Edelman’s blog is a classic and focus on the long range vision of our profession an how to practice better PR. Simply great reads here.
- PR Media Blog – Our British brethren publish a jolly blog on PR. Excellent content a a variety of PR related subjects.
- Pitch Engine Community – Connect with other professionals here.
As you read this blogs and soak in the information, remember there are people behind these blogs that probably want to connect with you. Reach out them on Twitter, in Facebook, or wherever they are hanging out online. They will appreciate it, and just might return the favor.